Hey folks – I know a lot of you don’t have the money or ability to go out and do on-the-street activism at the moment (I know I don’t), but I want to pass along a way to help the folks in the states with nothing more than an extra tab on your computer.
A few people have put videos up on YouTube containing black creator content (artwork, songs, etc) and monetized them with ads. Every time someone watches these videos, the money generated from the ads is donated to charities, movements and bail funds. All you need to do is turn off your adblock, put on a video and either watch it or let it play in the background.
Tips on how best to trick the YouTube algorithms!
- Do not watch as repetition (“again” symbol)- Don’t watch a playlist
- Do not fast forward or skip
- Don’t skip advertising
- Don’t pause
- Look at least 480p and half the volume
- Comment and like the video
- Share on social networks !!
- Do not clear playback and search history
- After a round, watch 3 to 5 other videos, search for this video (not from the playback history) and watch again
All of this helps convince YouTube you aren’t a bot who’s just looping a video. Unfortunately, your views won’t count if that’s the case.
If you can’t donate your time, money or effort right now (and there is no shame in that!) then make the corporations do it for you! Here is a post with some more info and some links to various videos I found;
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCgLa25fDHM (1 hour)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NokTSpMH44A (18 mins)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slbNdBuQzKw (1 hr & 40 mins)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Xe8N0FNTs (40 mins)
This list will be updated as I find more videos. Let me know if you’ve got any recommendations!